Foreign-Plated Auto Insurance

Car Trip

Mexico Tourist Auto Insurance for US and Canada Residents

When you bring your foreign-plated vehicle into Mexico, there are a few things you will need to do, and one of them should be making sure you have an auto insurance policy in place. We can help you to issue these policies in advance, so that you are insured from the moment you cross the border. You will also need to keep your Temporary Import Permit with the vehicle, as well as always carry your valid foreign driver’s license with you.

It is also important to know that the length of time these policies are issued for is determined by how long the vehicle can legally be in Mexico. That amount of time is determined by the vehicle owner’s residency status. So if you come to Mexico on a 6-month tourist visa, your vehicle’s temporary import permit will be valid for the same amount of time, as will your insurance policy. If you have your temporary residency then your vehicle permit and insurance policy can be issued for a full year. If you have permanent residency status, you are legally required to legalize your vehicle in Mexico, so it has the same status as you.

Having expats on staff and serving foreigners in Mexico allows us to issue policies of this type more often than other brokers. We have been able to identify the best companies, that provide many different options and benefits for these types of policies.

Scroll to top